Certified Scrum Product Owner
What is this course?
Many organisations are adopting Agile approaches to improve their software development capability, following the lead of the path-finding Internet era companies who have shown the way to rapid innovation and dominance in their market spaces.
A majority of organisations who are adopting an agile approach are using Scrum as their agile framework. Scrum is popular because it increases a product’s chance of success by emphasising periodic guidance, frequent inspections, and the ability to make changes as the product development progresses.
Scrum is a deceptively simple framework, and you will quickly learn about its roles, artefacts and meetings. However, its adaptive nature and impact on traditional organisational models and ways of working require a fundamental grasp of underlying principles and Product Owner techniques for a truly successful implementation.
In our experience with running this course, we have come to understand that many delegates have been using Scrum for some time and understand the basics. A majority of those delegates would also like to come away with some Agile practices that they can apply in their context. With this in mind, we give you an experience of some more advanced agile techniques. With the trainer’s depth of delivery experience, we have sought to bring an understanding of Scrum and Agile principles, but also with user-centred techniques that will help you get to a metrics based outcome driven product development approach.
The course learning is supported by hands-on exercises and simulations that put the theory into practice; delegates will get to explore their own digital product ideas on day two.
Even delegates who have been practising Scrum for more than five years have found something to take away from our courses.
This 2-day course provides a great foundation in Scrum and apply agile and Lean principles to Product Ownership.
What will you learn?
The two-day Certified Scrum Product Owner course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member
- Function effectively as Product Owner for Scrum Teams
- Deliver a successful Scrum project
- Explain and sell Agile and the Scrum framework to other key stakeholders
- Define and use the full range of Agile and Scrum Artefacts (Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Task Boards, and Burndown Charts etc. )
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders and customers
- Create and maintain the Product Backlog
- Fulfil your essential role in Sprint Planning and Sprint Review meetings
- Participate in Daily Scrum Meetings and Sprint Retrospectives
- Learn how to implement a metrics based outcome driven product development approach
- Implement other Lean and Agile approaches to support your Scrum implementation
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from one of our Certified Scrum Trainers
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments before and during the course, including lunch
- Course materials
- Certified Scrum Product Owner certification
- Membership of the Scrum Alliance
What topics are you covered
Agile Principles and Scrum Overview
- Key agile product development principles
- Introduction to Scrum
Scrum Roles and Responsibilities
- Scrum Master, Team and Product Owner responsibilities, values and behaviours
- Product Owner role in Scrum meetings
- Cross functional team working in a Sprint
- Effective product feedback
- Methods for creating a Vision for your product
Planning a Product
- Identifying where to start, where is the highest value?
- Using proto-personas and empathy maps
- Requirements v’s assumptions, outcomes and impacts
- Identifying and capturing your first product slice using story boards, scenarios or process flows
Kicking off a Medium Term Plan
- Using user stories to stock your backlog
- Medium Term planning approaches
- Communicating a release
- Comparative estimation techniques – how the work and why use them
- Beyond Planning Poker
- Forecasting and reporting
- Managing expectations, delivering on time and in budget
- Refinement of Product Slices
- Approaches to backlog refinement dependent on level of product team collaboration
Who is this course suitable for?
Whether you are a Product Owner, Portfolio Manager, Program Manager, Product Manager or Business Analyst or just responsible for defining product vision or requirements, this course is for you.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should I prepare for this course?
Attendees should read the Scrum Guide
What about exams and certifications?
Following successful completion of this course, participants will be designated as Certified Scrum Product Owners. This Scrum Alliance certification includes a two-year membership in the Scrum Alliance.
“Having participated in numerous Scrum courses over the years I can honestly say that the content and delivery of your CSPO course was the best I’ve seen. The activities were relevant and very engaging. Your subtlety and mastery lured us into new ways of thinking”
Abid Quesreshi, Organiser London Scrum User Group
“I’m excited to put into practice the things I’ve learned. It has not only taught me a lot, but also ignited a passion for Product Ownership that wasn’t previously there”
Delegate from CSPO training
“Very personable and knowledgeable instructor. Very keen to relate the material to our real-world experiences”
Delegate from CSPO training